Thursday, March 19, 2015

such 'romantic' gifts.

you know you are a 'old' couple when you no longer buy traditional gifts for each other.

the husband's birthday is coming up and all he asked for was a water bottle for his birthday!  he showed me a photo of his office bottle (a neon orange plastic one), and immediately I said...

"Plastic! No!"

paranoid I know, but if I can avoid plastics touching my food, I will.  besides, it's easy to get a stainless steel alternative.

he was cool with metal ones, and a quick google unveiled the Klean Kanteen!  and what do you know - its available at 2 online shops in Singapore! Actually, you can already find s/s bottles at Isetan or the major shopping centres, but the capacity is too small, usually quite ex if its the branded ones, sometimes not clear whether it's stainless steel or just aluminum (depending on the design, you have to check how the inside lining of the bottle looks).  and more often than not, the design is just ugly - with over-the-top ugly patterns on the bottle or weird shape.

since the husband uses his bottle just to hold drinking water, the normal (uninsulated) one works for his needs. plus its wide mouth for easier gulping!  I got this from the good things - delivery is free for $60 and above.  unfortunately quite a bit of their Klean Kanteen stuff are out of stock.  blessing in disguise, saved me from unnecessary spending cos I already have a stainless steel one...albeit an ugly one esp since the outside sticker is flaking off like it's having an eczema fit (yah, i don't understand why they bothered with the sticker since I think it looks nicer without it!).  i added a couple of other stuff to make up the $60 and I just hit the mark!

The Klean Kanteen is a simple, no frills, minimalist bottle which suits the hb just fine!


Remember the Nature Mill composting bin I was lusting after? just a week or 2 ago, the husband sent me an article about composting taking off in Singapore.  In that article, it mentioned about the Smart Cara - a composter that breaks down your food in 4 - 6 hours!!!! Not even the already super fast 2 weeks taken by Nature Mill!

The Smart Cara (known as the Food Cycler in the US/Canada market) does not use the true microbial composting process.  It merely SUPER speeds up the decomposing process  by heating it up and breaking it into smaller pieces.  but it works well for me - a balance btw convenience and yet doing my small part for the environment.

The best part is that Smart Cara does not need any sawdust, nor baking soda!  no need to balance your greens and browns!  and you can compost anything (except for tough bones with pork and beef as you might damage the bucket), and they recommend not to put too starchy food in (e.g. rice, potates) and too much high sugar stuff (e.g. fruits) cos' it will turn out a mess in the bucket.  In korea there is some volume based disposal system, so the Smart Cara also helps families reduce the waste from their kitchen (and pay less disposal fee).

For me, I want to reduce my food wastage and reuse/recycle some of the kitchen scraps like vegetables, eggs, fruits scrap, coffee beans, tea leaves, etc.  As I am using it as compost for my soil, I don't use cooked/seasoned food in the SC as the salt levels will be too high for my plants.   so in a way, you still need to roughly know how to 'balance' your composting if you are reusing the compost for your plants.

Within a few hours of reading about the Smart Cara, the husband agreed to get it for me and I placed an order!:) So fast right!  So here it is!  My advanced birthday present! A compost bin!!!! soooooo unromantic i know! but I'm so thrilled!   Maybe I can restart my juicing again...;)

I have been using it for 3~4 times already and I love it so far!  Will post an post on it later!

No comments:

Post a Comment