Sunday, February 17, 2013

guess what I'm going to do with these!

as you might know, i'm not so pleased with the my DIY shampoo attemps, and the more natural shampoo - i don't quite like cos' it doesn't lather well.

and  in my attempts for other recipes, I read that actually diluted castille soap is not great for the hair cos' it's too alkaine. ditto for the baking soda and water.  and the other day i smelt the hb scalp.  let's just say it's not so good. hee.


[caption id="attachment_1751" align="aligncenter" width="230"]aloe vera leaf aloe vera leaf that I bought from cold storage cos' i happened to be in the area.  It's available at NTUC - probably cheaper there![/caption]

so I found another simple recipe -

  • 3 tbsps of aloe vera gel

  • 1/4 cup coconut milk


what can i say - i love to keep things simple - so much easier that way!

[caption id="attachment_1756" align="aligncenter" width="547"]pure coconut kernel extract pure coconut kernel extract.  i generally don't like the smell of coconut, but this was heavenly!  then i conclude - i probably don't like the artifical coconut smells.  the real deal? thick and rich - smells darn good![/caption]

Directions

1. cut aloe vera leaf.  here's a link on the safest way to cut! the videos i watched were super scary the way they handle the knife!  PLEASE be careful with the knife since the aloe vera is slimy and it can get slippery and easy to get cut!


2. blend the aloe vera in a blender


3. use the amount you need


4. keep the rest of the aloe vera in the freezer (I poured it into an extra ice cube tray)


5. mix the 3 TBSP of aloe vera gel and 1/4 cup of coconut milk


6. store in fridge when not in use.  probably can last about a week?


as usual, will test and update!

 

UPDATE @ 19 Feb 2013

sigh.  seems like i'm fighting a losing battle with my own DIY shampoo!

smells heavenly cos' of the coconut milk, but boy - does it make my thin fine hair greasy.  It does make the hair soft though....soft AND greasy.  so didn't pass this for the hb to guinea pig on.

I did give him a ice-cube of the pure aloe vera gel to wash his hair with....and he said it was slimy/oily.  I smelt his scalp...and hmm...it may be the aloe vera smell or his scalp.  either way. not so great.

more research to go!

4 comments:

  1. haha, jiayou!! i'm sure you will find the right recipe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this will work as shampoo as shampoo's main purpose is to clean the hair but this will simply nourish the hair, more like a conditioner. I did this once as a 'hair and scalp mask' (I added a few drops of rosemary EO). It left my hair greasy and limp until after about 2 more washes using my conventional shampoo then my hair looked shiny and just had the right amount of greasiness.

    If you want to transform this into shampoo, you might have to mix it with a bit of Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap (it's a quick DIY cheat! :p).

    ReplyDelete
  3. true! not good to clean the hair...:( after I used this DIY shampoo recipe - it looked and felt so greasy the next morning that I heh....went back to using the remaining sunsilk frequent wash i had (parabens and all!) - to wash the grease off.

    i actually did try using dr bronner's liquid soap for shampoo - hb is okay with it, but it left my hair really strawy and tangled. then i read that shampoos work best at a certain ph value and dr bronner's too alkaine and not too great for hair. same for my baking soda + water shampoo experiment.:P hee.... no wonder my hair become drier and straw like.

    here's a link to a video that talks about ph - you might be interested! abit draggy but otherwise info rather interesting! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT9axA0A6_Q

    now looking for a off-the-shelf shampoo to buy w/o the nasties. cos' i give up DIY for now liao - do u know of any good ones you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bronners did the same for me, until I read that you need to rinse with vinegar to balance the pH level. Put about 1/4 of vinegar in a cup and fill the cup with water the rest of the way, and pour over your hair as the final rinse. Makes a world of difference!!!

    ReplyDelete